(& what can be done to maximize engagement and outcomes?)
The purpose of this paper is to provide the reader with some tools and techniques which will accelerate their organization’s performance, towards the leadership position in their space, enabling significant changes in how people work and collaborate. In addition to ensure that investment in social collaboration platforms gains maximum traction and avoids the major pitfalls.
Underpinning the approach is recognition that collaboration and collaboration maturity are complex human behaviors and, that deployment of social connection platforms to release an organization’s talent will not deliver unless they are underpinned by very high levels of organization maturity and learning.
There has been a general recognition in business that there is a strong Organization Development (OD) element to accelerating collaboration , however there is a tendency to be driven by the simple definition of collaboration behaviors such as “it’s about trust, sharing of goals and communications” and using SNA measurements as indicators. The reality is there are 20 core OD dynamics that influence collaboration maturity and outcomes, and in the paper we introduce a simple diagnostic to measure these so that personal, organization and platform development can be aligned for maximum traction.
The top five pitfalls for collaboration deployment
Failure to sufficiently recognise that we are enabling a change in how people work together and as such the deployment of collaboration strategies and platforms is an important organisation development activity.
- Failure to recognise that collaboration is a human activity and human system activity; it’s about people, their style, their behaviours, their motivations and their incentives.
- Deployment of social media collaboration platforms are often treated as an IT or System upgrade projects rather than core business change initiatives.
- Failure to create an explicit and strong connection to the business case, goals and KPI’s of the business in the eyes of the stakeholders.
- 5. The absence of a suitable framework to deploy a collaboration strategy and attain the target ROI.
Though there are many other pitfalls they are generally covered if we adopt a collaboration strategy that addresses the top five pitfalls. So we can say that the critical success factors for successful deployment of a collaboration strategy and platform are as follows:-
Critical Success Factors for collaboration Programs
- Establish the business case for collaboration up front and identify how the organisation will demonstrate that performance meets or exceeds the business case.
- Define the collaboration OD strategy across the business that connects the business case with individual and organisation development plans.
- Measure the collaboration maturity across the organisation; it becomes the base-line for selecting and deploying the level and type of interventions and actions that will allow maximum traction for new ways of working and the platform.
- Integrate the social media collaboration platform Adopt an overall collaboration Framework/Methodology to pull together the components of the collaboration strategy and allows the stakeholders to engage and influence.
- Project into the overall strategic OD program. Aligning the enablement of features and functions with the other interventions that reflect the level of organisation and individual learning.
The Collaboration™ Methodology
The overall methodology is a roadmap and a set of tools, processes, templates and guides designed to successfully guide an organization through the process of strategic change. Moving it towards creating a leadership zone position where the collaboration maturity is creating sustainable strategic and operational leadership. There are six core method domains. The domains have the following functions:-
Business Domain: – Building the business case and the Benefits Realisation process.
- Facilitation Domain: – Creating the process and structures to organise for success.
- Diagnosis Domain: – Establishing a baseline organisation maturity for collaboration.
- Strategy Domain:– Refining the goals and approach to execution
- Programs Domain:– Creating and managing the calibrated and integrated projects (People, Organisation & Platform)
- Progress Domain:– Creates the integrated metric program to monitor achievement and activity
Starting up a small business or aiming for business growth is no small matter. There are numerous obstacles and challenges you will face along the way. This is where we at IntelligentOrg come in. With our management consulting solutions, we provide you the right strategy advice and consultancy you need for business evolution and taking your business to the next level.